Venice Rabbi

A Venice Rabbi's blog about being a rabbi in Venice, CA-- family, jobs, shul, friends, money or lack-thereof, recovery, spirituality, health and exercise,and everything else a Venice Rabbi might be into . . .

Name:
Location: Venice, California, United States

I'm a push-the-envelope kinda fellow, who on one hand is a soldier for the cause of my mentors, but yet-- needs to do it the way my heart says.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

You don't buy your bagels at Hudson's

On the way back driving last Tuesday to Salt Lake City from Moab, Utah, I passed the time enjoying the incredible creations of the Creator of the World (i.e. the Buttes near Price, and the saw-toothed mountains of the Wasatch Front Range) and listening to my car radio. It was on the latter that I was treated to a view of the "bizaro" world that I felt I was entering upon tuning in to the MSM.

I didn't have much reception, so I was forced to tune to the local FM NPR station. Much to my relief, it was a piece on the President's news conference on Iraq that morning and he was in rare form. But then-- I heard him call on "Helen"-- later characterized by the NPR reporter as "Helen Thomas, queen of the Washington press corps". I was stunned at the disrespect, ney, scorn, implicit in her question to the President.

" . . . what was the "real reason" you invaded Iraq, Mr. President . . . ?!"

And when after what followed was a passionate, articulate, ringing statement of personal principle (see transcripts for Mr. Bush's full answer, what basically was that "I learned on 9/11 that the world changed, that we were under attack, and that I would use all the resources at my command to defend the American people")-- this "Queen" was asked by the NPR interviewer--

"Do you think that the President answered your question?"

Now, as I sat there driving, I couldn't believe my ears. Helen Thomas' cynical disrespect was bad enough to endure, but the President's firm restatement of principle was a relief that made it worthwhile. Yet, to now ask, "did he answer your question"-- of course he did! I just heard it-- didn't the interviewer?

And Helen's answer? "Of course he didn't!"

In which world do they live? I was taught in high school debating class, that while you may disagree with your antagonist, but you respect his right to his opinion and you strive to understand it. Helen Thomas and the NPR reporter certainly didn't understand what the President said, and they did not because they assume that their values are the only the values that exist. No other values exist to buttress any other conclusion. Hence, the President must have been manipulating, obfuscating-- but not answering the question.

I realized that the world they live in is not my world. I may not always agree with the President, but I understand from where he comes.

In their world, he is incomprehensible because he doesn't share their values.

I can't wish for dialogue, because we live in differing worlds. Dialogue, discussion, debate, communication is only possible when we live together. My world is totally different that theirs because our values are so very different. I can't expect more from them-- because they don't use the same language, the same rules, that I do. I hear an inspiring answer, and Helen Thomas, "of course", doesn't.

I pondered this tragedy (for like Helen, undoubtedly, many of these people are fine individuals, with whom I'd like to share and debate, but alas, cannot, since so many of people like me-- the religiously-observant, the conservatives, the supporter of Israels, or whatever-- are simply not allowed to express opinions based on our differing values).

If we're so different, I guess I can't feel that bad. You don't buy bagels at Hudson's, they used to tell me in Detroit. What do I expect?

I guess my job is to continue to teach, to share, to present my values in a way they can understand. Maybe then we can someday hear when one of us answers a question.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I pondered this tragedy (for like Helen, undoubtedly, many of these people are fine individuals, with whom I'd like to share and debate, but alas, cannot, since so many of people like me-- the religiously-observant, the conservatives, the supporter of Israels, or whatever-- are simply not allowed to express opinions based on our differing values)."

That's a good one Rabbi. Jews who support Israel everytime are not allowed to express their "differing values".

I howeled all the way through tonight's She'ma.

Mr.300

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home